Wednesday 12 August 2009

Maintaining Balance

I just got back from my yoga class. A few months ago I joined up for Hot Bikram Yoga. I am not quite sure why, as I had never done yoga before and it seems a bit extreme to spend 90 mins in 40 degree heat trying to manipulate myself into a range of extraordinary poses.

The instructor today was particularly good and put considerable emphasis on the battle of the will that comes with the intensity of this kind of yoga. In the west, we often have things relatively easy. Engaging with something as difficult as Bikram yoga helps build our mental strengthen to prove to ourselves we can handle more than we think. When you panic is when it all becomes unmanageable as all our energy is used up panicing.

The instructor also said that the yoga is more difficult when we are out of balance. This must be true about leadership.

Over the last few weeks I have started to build in a rhythm to my life, and I feel like I am able to achieve so much more. I am clearer about what is a good use of my time. I am happier to say no to the bad.

I am starting to learn that although I am feeling a bit like I should be busier right now, I am steadily moving my work in the right direction. There is a right time for everything. There is a time for craziness but this isn't it. There is also a time for restoration. It is not wasted time.

As I go on holiday next week, I need to keep an eye on maintaining that balance of heart, soul, mind and spirit. Maybe I will get better at the yoga too!

1 comment:

  1. I think that this is very true... Balance is a very important thing to have in life... I used to be too work focused and this put me off kilter in every areas of my life...

    ReplyDelete